Health and Fitness Apps for Smartphones
iPhone Fitness Apps and Android Health Apps
Will smartphone health and fitness apps be the future of fitness gadgets? Smartphones are equipped with GPS, have web access so that you can utilize maps, and can communicate with many fitness devices like heart rate monitors, power meters, blood sugar and blood pressure devices.
Android apps are rapidly becoming more available for the wave of android phones
on the market. The Iphone still retains a huge market share and the
corresponding apps that can be found.
Some examples of what smartphone apps can do:
- track your heart rate
- measure your blood pressure
- measure your blood sugar
- track your speed, map your course, elevation
- connect to power meters on your bike
- count calories and track your weight loss
- track your pets health
- keep tab of your babies sleep or your sleep
- track your menstrual cycle to help you get pregnant (or avoid it)
- vision test your eyes
- calculate your blood alcohol level
- use your phone as a pedometer
- watch fitness videos on your phone
- connect to user communities
- track your water intake
- help analyze your symptoms or tell you if your test results are normal
- use the phones vibration for massage
- provide white noise or music to sleep by
- help you quit smoking
- help you meditate
- keep tab of your medications
Smartphone apps will be the one stop device at some point in the future. You'll even be able to talk on these devices!! Note, however, that
standalone sports monitors and devices still enjoy a strong advantage over the
smartphone app. Smartphones have limitations and some issues that make
them challenging as a fitness buddy at this time. See
Smartphone Fitness Apps-The Ugly Truth for some of the reasons why you might
want to consider using a standalone fitness monitor.
Not only do smartphone fitness apps do many of the same things as heart monitors or power meters, they can also connect with social media like Facebook or Twitter, thereby allowing you to brag about your progress or just help your friends hold you accountable to your fitness goals.
To take advantage of the health and fitness apps available on smartphones you need to find some universal wireless sensors. Some companies that sell such devices (called dongles) are Wahoo Fitness and Digifit. These devices plug into your smartphone and can communicate with a HRM strap or a cycling power meter that utilize the ANT+ communication technology.
To utilize these apps you often need other equipment (like a HRM strap) or a sensor to communicate to your smartphone. The Nike plus is one device that shows the popularity of these type of devices - it communicates with iphone or ipad and can be used with the Wahoo app. Wahoo Fitness and Digifit, Zephyr Technology sells health and fitness sensors that use ANT+ protocol to communicate with your smartphone. Wahoo Fitness has really exploited the potential of the iPhone. Not only do the offer 60 fitness related apps, but their apps work with Training Peaks, Garmin Connect and Map My Tracks. You can also use the fitness dongle shown here in conjunction with RunKeeper or CycleMeter apps.
Use Wahoo's free Fisica Fitness App with these:
If you like the idea of a strapless heart rate monitor, new smartphones apps are a new way of measuring heart rate. They
utilize the camera in the phone to measure the color of your finger tip. Changes in oxygen level in your blood represent changes in heart rate. The app is called "Instant Heart Rate" and costs $0.99 for the iPhone or free for an Android. Is it better then a Mio strapless heart monitor? Only experience and time will tell, but initial reviews for the simple app are pretty positive.
Here's the top free health and fitness apps for your iPhone:
- Runkeeper - the best app out there for excercises bar none
- Strava Cycling - best app for cyclists
- SixPack App - best for weight lifters
- Vision Test
- Calorie Tracker - from LiveStrong
- Sleepmaker Rain Free
- Medscape - WebMD's app
- Yoga Free: 250 Poses and Yoga Classes
Some external links to health and fitness apps:
Return from Health and Fitness Apps to Health and Fitness Monitors
- Home Blood Pressure Monitors
- Home blood pressure monitors are easy to buy and invaluable in helping you to monitor your health and detect early symptoms of complicating diseases.
- VO2 Max and Lung Capacity
- VO2 max is a measurement of your lung capacity. It can help you determine your level of fitness. Workouts near your maximum heart rate improve your aerobic capacity.
- Polar Heart Rate Monitor Reviews - Polar Heart Monitors
- Polar Heart Rate Monitor reviews for most Polar fitness monitors
- Garmin Reviews for Garmin GPS Sports Equipment
- Garmin reviews for Garmin GPS enabled fitness monitors - running, cycling and swimming
- Nike Plus - Nike iPod - Nike Heart Rate Monitor
- Use Nike Plus running shoes to connect to your iPod Nano, iPod Touch or iPhone. Nike heart rate monitors also integrate with the Apple apps
- Timex Heart Rate Monitor Review
- Timex heart rate monitor review looks at the Timex brand efforts to produce a stylish, inexpensive heart monitor watch based on the Timex Ironman Watch line of products
- Suunto Heart Rate Monitor
- A Suunto heart rate monitor is a relatively new entry into HRM's. However, Suunto has been a leader in sports watches producing rugged outdoor equipment for hikers, sailers and adventurers.
- Health and Fitness Smartphone apps for Android and IPhone
- Health and fitness smartphone apps for android and iphone to monitor your health, keep track of your medical issues and motivate your to live a healthier lifestyle.
- Health O Meter Body Fat Scale Review
- The Health o Meter Body Fat Scale has 11 different body fat monitoring models, you can find the combination of look, feel, and function that is right for you.
- Activity Monitor
- An Activity monitor helps you learn many things about yourself - calories burned, sleeping patterns, optimal weight loss activities. These devices use a new technology - an accelerometer chip - popularized by the Nike Plus
- A Good Workout Plan for Beginners
- A Good Workout Plan for beginners - links to sites with gym workout plans.
- Omron Heart Rate Monitor Sports Watches
- An Omron Heart Rate Monitor is an affordable but reliable heart watch from a well known Japanese produce of high quality health and fitness products.
- Blood Glucose Monitors and Blood Sugar Monitors
- Blood glucose monitors and blood sugar monitors are easy to buy and invaluable in helping you to control your diabetes. They can also help you learn how your diet is affecting your blood sugars and weight loss.
- Mio Heart Rate Monitor Strapless Heart Rate Monitor Watches
- Mio Heart Rate Monitor are the original and largest producer of strapless heart rate monitor watches. Mio has an extensive line of strapless heart rate watches with many petit designs for women.
- Oregon Heart Rate Monitor Watches
- Oregon Heart Rate Monitor is produced by a company known for its clocks and weather radios. Most of its heart rate monitors are newly introduced and do not have a long track record
- SportLine Heart Rate Monitor Strapless Heart Rate Monitor Watches
- SportLine Heart Rate Monitor watches are designed with the capability of both a strapless 'one touch' heart monitor as well as the option to use a chest strap. The new hydration monitor is a unique high tech water bottle to help track liquid consumption throughout the day.
- Omron Blood Pressure Monitor
- Omron Blood Pressure Monitors are tested, evaluated, and shown to provide accurate and consistent results to users who want to monitor their blood pressure at home.
- LifeSource Blood Pressure Monitor
- LifeSource Blood Pressure Monitors provide you with an easy way to monitor your blood pressure numbers in the comfort of your own home or when traveling.
- MicroLife Blood Pressure Monitor
- The Microlife Blood Pressure monitor is clinically proven to provide quality home blood pressure monitoring capabilities.
- Panasonic Blood Pressure Monitor
- The Panasonic Blood Pressure Monitors provide quick and easy one-touch measurements of blood pressure and pulse rate with digital filter technology to ensure accuracy at home or away.
- Omron Body Fat Monitor and Scale Reviews
- Omron body fat monitor models include both floor scales that offer full body composition analysis and handheld models for quick body fat measurements